Now that winter is closing in, you probably aren’t spending as much time in your yard as you did during the summer months. Even when you aren’t actively using your yard, it is still important to keep it maintained. The cold, rainy months can take a toll on your yard and you might be left with a less than pretty sight when spring finally rolls around. Avoid patchy grass, messy garden beds and unhealthy trees and shrubs by putting time into winterization and installing an automatic sprinkler system in Burlington County, NJ this fall. Taking time to get your yard ready for winter can make things a lot easier in the spring. Follow a few simple winterization tips to prepare your yard for the elements:
- Trees and shrubs: Small trees and shrubs can be badly damaged by heavy snowfall, so consider shielding them with some sort of improvised structure to keep them protected. During the winter, it can be difficult for trees to absorb moisture from the frozen ground, so it’s a good idea to thoroughly water trees and shrubs in late fall before the first frost to ensure that they have enough water to sustain themselves through harsh winter conditions.
- Garden beds: You should dispose of any lawn debris or plant matter from your garden beds as you are preparing them for winter. Next, you can till your garden to prepare your soil for the spring growing season. It’s also important to apply mulch to your garden beds so that they can retain warmth and moisture.
- Lawns: Even though fall leaves can make for a beautiful and vibrant lawn cover, they can also cause your grass to become patchy. Make sure to rake up leaves or move them out of the way with a leaf blower. It’s also a good time to test the composition of your soil to see if any additional fertilization or supplementation is necessary. Many people also choose to overseed their lawns at this point in time to promote growth.
- Compost: Composting food waste and lawn debris is a fantastic way to avoid contributing to landfills, but all of the work that you put into your compost bin can be for nothing if you don’t take the proper steps to prepare it for winter. It’s a good idea to cover your compost with a layer of leaves, and to cover your bin with a lid to keep it insulated from cold temperatures.
- Irrigation: Believe it or not, fall is one of the best times to have an irrigation system installed in your yard. Even though your lawn might not need to be watered as heavily during this time of year, you are more likely to benefit from a great price on a sprinkler system. Contact a professional to find out more about automatic sprinkler system installation in Burlington County, NJ.
If you would like to have an automatic sprinkler system installed in your yard this fall, call the team at Star Sprinkler Systems Inc. We have decades of experience providing customers with effective irrigation solutions that they can depend on. Find out more by browsing our website and calling us today!