Mowing the lawn can make a huge difference in how a property looks, but a lot of people don’t know much about how to mow their lawns properly, and that can lead to patchy, unappealing results. Thankfully, there are plenty of things beginners can do to perfect their lawn mowing strategy and achieve the best-looking lawn on the block. Keep reading for some helpful lawn mowing tips for property owners of all experience levels.
Lawn mowing tips
Even simple changes in your lawn mowing strategy can make a huge difference when it comes to improving the appearance of your lawn. Here are a few of the best tips to improve your lawn mowing skills and make your lawn stand out:
- Use a higher lawn mower setting: A lot of property owners stick to low blade settings on their lawn mowers to achieve a very close cut, but this isn’t the best option if your goal is to improve the appearance of your landscaping. Taller blades of grass are better equipped to absorb the essential nutrients they need to sustain healthy growth. Cutting grass too short can harm your grass and result in poor growth, so set your lawn mower blades higher for better long-term lawn health.
- Use clippings as lawn fertilizer: Some people remove lawn clippings to make their lawns look as clean and tidy as possible after mowing, but it’s actually better for your lawn to leave these clippings once you’re done mowing. Lawn clippings restore essential nutrients to the soil and can fertilize grass to promote healthy growth in the future.
- Sharpen mower blades regularly: Another way to improve outcomes from mowing your lawn is to keep lawn mower blades sharpened regularly. Lawn mower blades grow dull over time, making it more difficult to achieve a clean look for your lawn. Lawn mower blades should be sharpened every 20 to 25 hours of use.
- Mow your lawn when it’s dry: Many people mow their lawns after watering to take care of all their maintenance tasks at once, but it’s always best to mow a lawn when it’s dry. Cutting grass when it’s wet can lead to uneven results, not to mention the fact that exposure to water can lead to rust development on lawn mower blades.
- Vary lawn mowing directions: Mowing your lawn in the same direction every time can cause ruts to develop in the lawn. Vary the direction you mow every time, switching between vertical, horizontal and diagonal patterns, to keep grass growing in the right direction and keep lawns even and clean looking.
Sprinkler system installation
One of the most important tips for how to mow your lawn is to keep it well irrigated. At Star Sprinkler Systems Inc., we know how much of a difference sprinkler systems can make when it comes to lawn health, and our team is here to assist with sprinkler system installation, maintenance and repairs. We’re committed to providing the highest quality services possible to our customers. Get started with a consultation and quote by giving our team a call today.