There may still be a wintry nip in the air, but spring will be here sooner than you know it, so take the time now to think about the steps you need to take to get your sprinkler system in Burlington County, NJ up and running smoothly again.
When you first turn on your sprinkler system for the season, you can’t expect it to work perfectly right away. There’s a bit of preventative maintenance and inspection that will be necessary to get it functioning its best for the months to come.
Here’s a quick overview of the most important checks to make when you first turn on your system in the spring. It’s a good idea to have a professional sprinkler system repair and maintenance technician out to your property so they can perform a more thorough inspection:
- Sprinkler heads: Inspect every single sprinkler head so you can make note of any damage, or any heads that won’t pop out of the dirt or grass. If you see water shooting straight up into the air, this is probably a sign of an issue with a sprinkler head. Problematic heads might also have erratic spray or no water at all. Adjust the heads, clean them off and perform any necessary repair work to make sure they’ll give you reliable service all through the season.
- Water lines: Check for breaks in the water lines. Some of the most common red flags of water sign issues include water bubbling under the landscaping, or puddles forming around the sprinkler lines. This is an issue that will require professional attention if you notice it on your property.
- Controller: Check the programming of the controller, and make any necessary adjustments for the coming season. You may need to change the batteries. This is a good time to set a new watering schedule so you can cater to the needs of all the plants and grass on your property.
- Nozzles: It’s possible for nozzles to become plugged over an extended period of time, and some might even break or sustain damage. Check each one of these nozzles to make sure they’re in good condition. If you notice any issues, check with a professional about the best way to address them.
- Valves: The valves are an extremely important part of the infrastructure of your sprinkler system in Burlington County, NJ, and deserve some special attention when you’re beginning your start-of-season maintenance. Before you turn on the water, check for any breaks or leaks in valves. Look for debris as well—it’s possible for pests to get inside and mess up the wires, or leave behind dirt or debris that could cover up the valves and make it difficult for them to function. Clear out all valve boxes, and test them for functionality. If there’s a lot of water, check the pipe and valves around the box for signs of a break or leak.
For more information about repairs for your sprinkler system in Burlington County, NJ this spring, contact Star Sprinkler Systems Inc. today.