When you’ve installed an automatic sprinkler system and invested in professional sprinkler system service in Burlington County, NJ for your home, you’ve already done most of the work in creating a water-efficient system. However, occasionally our clients ask us about the best practices to save water—the environment is a huge concern, second only to saving money on water bills. We understand!
By making some simple adjustments, you can save a significant amount of water while using your home sprinkler system. Here are our top tips to save water and keep your lawn happy:
- Adjust the clock settings: When you have an automatic sprinkler system, you know the biggest luxury is being able to program it to automatically water your yard, even if you’re not home. On the other hand, you need to remember to adjust that program for time of day, season and outdoor temperature.
- Get the right kind of sprinkler head: Depending on where you’re watering, you likely have areas with very different water needs. Plants or grass that languish in full-on sunshine for most of the day will need more water than your shaded flowers and bushes. Ask your irrigation contractor which sprinkler heads might be right for you, and don’t be afraid to use multiple types for the best coverage and water savings available. For example, spray heads will put out far more water than rotors, and some heads even have interchangeable nozzles. When you choose the right heads, you can significantly cut down on your water usage.
- Invest in a rain sensor: There’s no bigger waste than running your sprinklers during a rainstorm, and yet we see it happening all the time! These days, you might be surprised to learn that rain sensors are now available. They’re designed to monitor rainfall and/or moisture in order to automatically prevent the system from using too much water.
- Align the sprinkler heads: Don’t water your entryway, your driveway, the sidewalk or the side of your house! Align your sprinkler heads (or have your irrigation contractor step in) so that you get full garden coverage without excessive and wasteful runoff.
- Use newer, low-volume sprinkler heads: If you haven’t upgraded your sprinkler system in decades, you’re probably using a much higher volume of water than you actually need to be. Modern sprinkler systems utilize misting techniques (among other great water-saving features) that allow the water to be distributed evenly and thoroughly, without running the risk of overwatering.
Upgrade your lawn with a new sprinkler system in Burlington County, NJ
For more advice about saving water with your sprinkler system use and to get professional help with installing a sprinkler system in Burlington County, NJ, reach out to the team at Star Sprinkler Systems Inc. Since 1980, we have been dedicated to delivering the highest quality sprinkler system services possible to our commercial and residential customers. We can help you find, install and maintain a sprinkler system that’s sure to be energy- and water-efficient. Contact us today to schedule a service appointment or arrange a consultation.